skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Coloring icing question
sbiggin 09/14/2012 10:06 AM
I am making my son's Darth Vader cake for his birthday party this weekend, and although I've made plenty of cakes in the past, I've never attempted black icing. Any suggestions? I was planning to start with a chocolate buttercream and try to get it black enough to look right, but not sure if it will be a losing battle. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
StephanieLovesTheFall 09/14/2012 1:19 PM
Yes, chocolate buttercream with black coloring works perfectly. You may even attempt a dark chocolate buttercream so the taste of the black coloring isn't overbearing.
Bikechick 09/15/2012 6:10 AM
I think you can buy it. Black and Really Red are hard to mix yourself. My instructor said she buys it from Sam's.
Buttercream_Queen 09/16/2012 8:43 PM
I have also used chocolate icing to make black and it does work. It helps to cover up the "inky" taste black sometimes has. Also keep in mind that black will dark after it sits. When I make it, I stop adding color after it has a dark charcoal look. It will look like black in about a half hour. Good Luck!
mochamaria 09/27/2012 7:56 PM
Yes, chocolate is best for making black. Since you need a lot of black, making it yourself if probably the most economical route. When I make black I prefer to use dark chocolate cocoa powder (like Hershey's Special Dark) for an intense chocolate flavor and darker brown color, which means you don't have to use as much color to turn it black. Another option is Choco Bake from Nestle....it's pre-melted unsweetened chocolate and yields a good dark color in the buttercream. (Sometimes when using unsweetened chocolate that you melt yourself, the buttercream can become grainy, in my opinion.) And as the BC Queen said, the color will deepen with time.