skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Decorating Basics Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: planning to take the 1st course Wilton Decorating Basics, how much am i gonna end up spending?
Created On Thursday May 31, 2012 7:16 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
View thread in raw text format

tmana
Posted: Friday July 06, 2012 5:01 PM

Spooky_798: $75-100 per course? I think that figure's a bit on the low side based on what's shown in the book, what's NOT shown in the book, and what the folk around work (I currently work at Michaels) purchase each week before and after each of the classes.

Before Course 1, I would suggest investing in a BJ's/Costco/Sam's Club sized can of Crisco, and a couple of similarly-sourced bags of confectioner's sugar (you'll go through about 8 lb confectioner's sugar in Course 1 alone). If you're thinking of continuing on with courses 2, 3, and 4, I'd get the big (16-oz) size of Meringue Powder, rather than the 4-oz one.

The Course 1 Resource Center has a list of what you need for each class: http://www.wilton.com/classes/wmstudents/decorating-basics-student-supplies.cfm

Report Violation

Bottom

tmana
Posted: Saturday July 14, 2012 7:56 AM

SweetAry: Lesson one is primarily a "show" lesson. Lesson two is when you actually start doing things (like icing a cake). Many of the things on the list don't get used in lesson 1 or 2. You use the turntable in lessons 2 and 4, the 789 tip in lesson 2. If you bought the kit, the 1M and 230 tips are only used in lesson 3 (cupcakes), and the 104 and flower templates are only used in lesson 4 (ribbon rose). A lot of folk sign up for Course 1 with decorating experience; we use it to fill in the gaps, or to learn new techniques. A lot of other folk sign up with absolutely NO experience -- so it's really a mixed bag for the instructors.

I already had a lot of the "optional" stuff when I started course 1 (icing bag holder, bag ties, extra 104 tips, 789 tip, large coupler, large bags, turntable) but I still ended up buying stuff -- the most important (and expensive) of which was the new cake carrier with turntable (easier than carrying both a cake-in-carrier and a separate turntable), but also bake-even strips. I also bought a cake tester (finding too many issues with toothpicks), the large cake leveler (the small one was too small to use with the turntable, which is removable for serving the cake), and a few other things (such as cake boards).

Lolololololzz: Posters on some other threads mentioned a cake carrier with turntable that cost about $6 at either Target or WalMart (I don't remember which). In addition to the carrier/turntable and ingredients, you will need everything in the Course 1 kit except the parchment triangles (which are only used for piping gel transfers), and also a cake leveler and a 11-13" angled spatula. If you'll be using the 789 tip to ice the cake, you'll need that plus at least one large bag (either a 16" featherweight or a small box of 16" disposable bags). My classmates for Course 1 told me that a lot of the stuff was cheaper at WalMart - but if you use the 50% off coupons at your local Michaels, A.C.Moore, Jo-Ann, or Hobby Lobby, and buy one piece at the time (say, one piece before, and/or one piece after, each class), you can pick them up for half-price.

Report Violation

Bottom

Kattykake
Posted: Tuesday August 28, 2012 5:46 PM

Best hint is to use coupons at Michaels. Also go on Amazon and e-bay. I got the course book on Amazon and can see in advance what I'll need to buy/come up with. I'm not sure about my class, but I read Michael's stores give them out on first night of course. I bought a toolbox at Walmart to store spatulas, bags, tips and couplers go in storage spaces in lid of toolbox. Cost between $7 - 8 dollars. Got the Ultra cake stand with coupon at Michael's. Cheaper than buying on-line. I also bought (with coupon) the $12.00 cake decorating kit. Has 4 tips, 2couplers, some color packets for frosting, small spatula, 1 featherweight bag, 6 disposable bags and INSTRUCTIONS including icing recipe. Basic kit has NO instructions. Also bought (with coupons) icing tip and 16 oz featherweight bag. Bought can of icing, large offset spatula, small offset spatula, clear vanilla extract. Still need cake boards, maybe flower papers (or I'll cut squares of waxed paper or parchment.) I also am NOT buying cups to tint frosting. I have soup containers with tight fitting lids from Chinese restaurant take out. Wilton suggests throwing out plastic cups after use - I'd rather recycle the soup containers. Not sure if I want to buy bag stand or tip covers, but will not buy things to keep bag closed. I read twisting the end is enough. The idea is to have fun. Must say, I ended up cheating before this class. Used Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies to surround a square cake for my brother. Didn't have the confidence to try out my Wilton tools without taking the course. Someone wrote a book on Cake Fakery. Guess I'm not the only desperate person.

Report Violation

Bottom

Kattykake
Posted: Tuesday August 28, 2012 5:51 PM

Gotta load up on coupons (online and from newspaper insert) so I can buy before and after class. Great hint!

Report Violation

Bottom

SweetAry
Posted: Tuesday August 28, 2012 5:55 PM

Once u sign up for the course they will give u a list of things u need to bring to course 1, each instructor is different , and I bought lots of things with 40%off and 50% coupons n michaels stores :0) got lots of good deals

Report Violation

Bottom

SweetAry
Posted: Wednesday August 29, 2012 2:10 PM

Once u buy the class / course they will give u a list what u need from your instructor, each instructor is different , it should be the same list following the book, but my instructor gave a big list which Lots of things on the list I didn't use at all for course 1 ! That's why I was upset, but I wasted around $300.00 on jut the 1st course , Get coupons online from the michaels store especially use the 40% and 50% off ones I would take my husband with me and we would each buy sumthing with those coupons and kept going each day till it was over the 40% or 50% coupons best way to save money

Report Violation

Bottom

SweetAry
Posted: Wednesday August 29, 2012 2:11 PM

Once u buy the class / course they will give u a list what u need from your instructor, each instructor is different , it should be the same list following the book, but my instructor gave a big list which Lots of things on the list I didn't use at all for course 1 ! That's why I was upset, but I wasted around $300.00 on jut the 1st course , Get coupons online from the michaels store especially use the 40% and 50% off ones I would take my husband with me and we would each buy sumthing with those coupons and kept going each day till it was over the 40% or 50% coupons best way to save money

Report Violation

Bottom

SweetAry
Posted: Wednesday August 29, 2012 2:11 PM

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday August 29, 2012 8:59 PM

Spooky is correct. Cake decorating is NOT a cheap hobby.

I'll preface what I'm about to say with the statement that the Wilton classes have opened up a whole new world of fun and excitement and challenge for me. I recommend that ALL newbies to cake decorating start with the basic instructions/tools/pans/supplies/ingredients required to complete the 4 Wilton Courses. This will be your basic stuff. AFTER you take all 4 courses, you can move onward and upward if you wish, or be content with the new skills which you can continue to improve for years to come.

I took the very last of the "old style" Wilton courses in Feb/Mar/April/May of 2010. I kept a detailed record of ALL my expenditures for everything that I purchased. (My definition of expenditures: All items/ingredients/supplies that I would NOT have purchased if I were not taking cake decorating courses.)

I overspent on some stuff, because I didn't have enough knowledge to be able to discern what was essential and what was NOT-essential. However, I can safely say that if you wish to take all 4 courses and do it right, with ONLY the essentials, you will end up spending between $100 to $150 PER COURSE, for a total of $600-$800.

There have been numerous blogs/threads online about what is essential. Do some internet research.

Use a craft store COUPON for everything you buy!

My recommendations:
Purchase the Ultimate Professional Cake Decorating SET. (The one with ALL the tools!!!!! NOT the one that is just the container! NOT the empty "Rolling Tool Caddy"!!!)
Here's the link to the one you SHOULD PURCHASE:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=981C04C0-AB5C-249E-88465097D8677503&killnav=1

Purchase the Round pan set:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E314F48-475A-BAC0-5295208D75273244&killnav=1

Purchase the basic Trim 'n TurnĀ® PLUS Cake Turntable (for $14.99 before coupon). You can always upgrade later if you wish.

If you don't already own a Stand Mixer, you will probably want to get one. I purchased my Kitchen Aide Artisan 5 qt. model off Craigslist for $150.

You will "outgrow" the Wilton Tool Caddies in about 2 minutes. A wheeled office cart (pic below) is a great low cost alternative that will allow you to haul just about everything to and from all your classes.

And last, here's a link to a super-long thread with TONS of information for newbie cake decorators. Hope some (or all) of the information is helpful.
How-To tutorials/videos for Cake Decorators
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=160184

wheeled office cart6.jpg wheeled office cart6.jpg  (18 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

Kattykake
Posted: Thursday August 30, 2012 8:12 AM

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I just plan to take course 1.

Report Violation

Bottom

kathy1
Posted: Wednesday February 06, 2013 9:43 AM

Hi whoknew. Thanks for posting the picture of the wheeled cart for your supplies. Where did you buy it and do you remember the price? Thanks. Kathy

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday February 06, 2013 11:45 AM

Good morning, Kathy1, and thank you. You can buy a wheeled cart like that from almost any office supply superstore like Staples or Office Depot. They run from $15 on sale to $30. I use mine ALL the time. Recently, I has been used to haul water and snacks back and forth for my nephews' soccer games.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/987304/Office-Depot-Brand-Mobile-Folding-File/

Report Violation

Bottom

flearoy
Posted: Wednesday February 06, 2013 7:45 PM

You can also get them 50% off with Michaels coupons and get the class with a discount as well. Just check at your Michaels and ACMoore as well for deals. Thats is how I got my supplies, saved lots of money that way.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Decorating Basics Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: