skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Decorating Basics Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Would it be bad if I start Course 1 having missed Class 1?
Created On Thursday May 10, 2012 7:11 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

hullokitten
Posted: Thursday May 10, 2012 7:11 PM

I called my local Michael's today to inquire about starting classes, obviously planning to start with Course 1. I found out that the newest session started last night, so I obviously missed that one but the lady who was in charge of the classes that I spoke to at Michael's said that it wouldn't be a big deal if I started next week on class 2, that the teacher could catch me up on what I have missed. Does this seem accurate? What happens in the first class that I may have missed?
Also, because I expressed an interest in taking at least 3 of the classes, the lady I spoke to recommended getting one of the large kits - would I be OK just getting the 50 piece caddy? Or will I be buying a ton more extra where it would add up to the price of the Ultimate eventually?
Any input is very helpful, thank you!

Report Violation

Bottom

sophiabug
Posted: Thursday May 10, 2012 9:17 PM

I am currently signed up for courses 1 and 2 only and I spent a lot of time debating whether I should purchase the ultimate decorating kit - i'd say make the investment if you can (definitely use a coupon though). I went through the lesson plans and made a couple lists - the extras you need add up quickly but the ultimate kit has almost everything you'd need. I'm really happy with it so far and it's great for organizing so much stuff! I put away anything I don't need for course 1.

If you're wanting to start, I personally don't think missing class 1 would be an issue. Ours was mostly lecture and demonstration, but we only piped stars for maybe 10 minutes. Next week we torte and ice a cake, but I expect the instructor to show/help us even though she demonstrated it in lesson 1. She also gave some baking tips so it would be good if yours could share any missed highlights.

Enjoy it!

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Friday May 11, 2012 11:56 AM
View users profile

If you do plan to take all 3 courses, then do buy the Ultimate Decorating Kit, be sure to use a coupon for 40% or 50% off, to make it affordable. You'll get what you need for all 3 courses along with a great tool kit to store your items in.

You will not get everything you need in the 50 piece kit.

Report Violation

Bottom

auntsusan
Posted: Friday May 11, 2012 12:27 PM

I suggest you talk directly with the instructor about missing the first class. Each of us may handle it differently depending on the situation. He/she may/may not have time to catch you up or you may catch on quickly or have some experience with what is covered in lesson 1 and be very motivated. It may be a small class and it will not be a problem to review in class or it may be a large class with a new instructor and it could be disruptive in class if you missed the first lesson. There are several variables, but I would always defer to the instructor. The store should be able to provide you with contact info. Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

hullokitten
Posted: Friday May 11, 2012 5:25 PM

Thank you all! I plan on going into the store to speak more with the lady that I spoke with on the phone yesterday. I'll ask for the instructor's contact info.

Report Violation

Bottom

hullokitten
Posted: Saturday May 12, 2012 9:34 PM

So the lady in charge of the classes called the instructor and she said it wouldn't be a problem. I ended up just getting the Decorating Basics kit for now, and I'm sure I'll end up getting the Ultimate at some point but is there anything else I need to bring to Class 2 other than a cake and the kit? Did the instructor give out a list for week 2 during the week 1 class? Thank you all!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Decorating Basics Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: