skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Decorating Basics Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: HOW TO MAKE RED ICING "RED" AND BLACK ICING "BLACK"
Created On Tuesday May 08, 2012 11:17 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

gillie
Posted: Tuesday May 08, 2012 11:17 AM

Hi I use no taste red when I am decorating a cake
but find I have to use a large amount of colour to come even close to the colour red and still the colour seems to never quite be bright red. My children do not like the taste of the icing red red...is there anything I can do to get the colour really red. The same also goes for the colour black. If I use a lot of the colour they do not like the taste of the icing. My son wants me to make him a coral snake cake so I will need to use red yellow and black....can anyone help me answer these questions )))

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday May 08, 2012 12:14 PM
View users profile

Red - use Americolor Super Red. It doesn't taste bitter. And because it comes in an easy to use squirt bottle, it's easier to measure out.

Black - you can begin with a chocolate buttercream, then add Americolor Super Black. You won't need to use as much coloring that way. If for some reason you can't use chocolate buttercream (such as an allergy to chocolate), then just use the Americolor Super Black. Hopefully you're just needing it for accent decorations, and not covering the entire cake in black, so making a small amount (a couple cups of buttercream or less), won't take a lot of the color.

Also, with any frosting that uses dark colors, let it set for a while, even overnight, and the colors will deepen.

I can get Americolors at Hobby Lobby.

Report Violation

Bottom

gillie
Posted: Tuesday May 08, 2012 5:57 PM

Thank you sooo much will try this for the cake

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Decorating Basics Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: