skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Completed Decorating Basics Course
sofi cakes 04/24/2012 1:30 AM
Today was my last class for the Wilton Decorating Basics Course 1! I have to say that I am quite disappointed with my experience :(. I was so happy and ready to start the course and I was so glad to have found a Michaels that offered the classes so close to home; however it all went downhill from day one. The instructor was so impatient, rude, and had no manners. From day one she talked to us in such a disrespectful manner and even threatened to slap us on the hand if we overfilled our bags! She proudly announced that she is known to do that with her students.
After day one I was pretty upset and wanted to ask for a refund but decided to stick with it as we all have our bad days. Unfortunately nothing improved and I am glad that this class is over. Being treated like a five year old and being told contantly that we were doing things wrong without helping us to correct what we were doing was definitely a frustrating experience. We didn't get much from the class and most of what I learned was from reading the lesson plan and reading peoples blogs.
I am still interested in learning more about cake baking and decorating so I signed up for course 2 at a different craft store. Hopefully my experience will be better with a different instructor!!!
I will post some of my pictures soon.
Spooky_789 04/24/2012 10:46 AM
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I would contact Michael's store manager and let him know of your experience with that WMI. I'd also get in touch with Wilton to let them know how rude the WMI was. I'm sure Wilton does not want someone like that to be teaching their courses.

The classes really can be lots of fun if the WMI is good and if the students come prepared to learn and have fun.
LuciouzLickz 04/25/2012 2:50 AM
I'm so sorry you had such an awful experience. I am a WMI a method instructor and that is not the Wilton way. Actually that is not the human way. But I am glad that you are moving forward in your cake decorating experience. Good Luck to you and keep decorating.
sofi cakes 04/27/2012 8:49 AM
Thank you both for your encouraging words and your advice. I am going to follow your advice and contact Michaels and Wilton because I don't believe this instructor should be allowed to teach this classes or at least not the way she does. I know the other people in the class felt the same way I did but they are going for course 2 because they purchased both classes already plus the location of the store and how if fits in their schedule but they were not happy at all.

On a happy note I signed up and ready to go for Couse 2 in two weeks. Can hardly wait!!! I'm hoping to gain enough confidence and skills to make my daughters 1st birthday cake.