skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Decorating Basics Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Gray icing? Black icing?
Created On Sunday June 26, 2011 7:52 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

GinetteK
Posted: Sunday June 26, 2011 7:52 PM

Has anyone tried to make these color icings? I tried gray first. It looked purple. I added a touch of green, it is now dark gray, so fine. But now I don't see how I'm going to get black! Any suggestions?

Report Violation

Bottom

cake-angel
Posted: Sunday June 26, 2011 8:09 PM

It takes 1 tsp of black gel color added to 1 cup of white buttercream to make black icing. This can leave a bitter taste as well because of what the black is made from. Remember also that the colors develope so when I first mix black it looks like a dark charcoal grey and then after sitting overnight is a nice deep black. If you want better tasting black, start with chocolate buttercream and then add black as you will need less gel color (about half as much) to creat black and will have a better flavored icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

GinetteK
Posted: Sunday June 26, 2011 8:16 PM

Oy so what your telling me is that dark gray sitting in my fridge is going to be get black!! Now I won't have any gray. Lol god help me. I guess I will have to see what develops in the morning, but that does help a lot. I will have to remember that. The chocolate buttercream would be a great idea also thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

cake-angel
Posted: Sunday June 26, 2011 8:39 PM

Don`t panick... It depends on how dark the grey is already but I do usually make my colors the day before I am going to use them so I can adjust. If your grey does go black and you have enough to spare you can add some of the dark icing to white or chocolate icing to make a lighter shade. Less waiting to develope if you use icing that has already developed to make a lighter shade of it.

Report Violation

Bottom

GinetteK
Posted: Sunday June 26, 2011 8:46 PM

Wow lol I've got my work cut out for me. Lol here we go.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Decorating Basics Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: