skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Decorating Basics Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Topic Title: making class buttercream icing with milk or water..
Created On Sunday October 24, 2010 9:10 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

jpell
Posted: Sunday October 24, 2010 9:10 PM

I am wondering, on the buttercream icing instructions, it says either milk or water.. I've been using the teaspoons of water, but can someone tell me what the difference is if i use milk instead?

Report Violation

Bottom

LisaH
Posted: Monday October 25, 2010 9:07 AM

Personally, I find NO difference in the taste or texture. I always use water because with no dairy in the icing - it lasts longer. Some people say that certain chemicals in their water mess with the colors but I have never found this to be true for me (and I have lived in a lot of different areas). So, I have never found any reason to bother with milk. I'm sure others will disagree.

Report Violation

Bottom

jpell
Posted: Monday October 25, 2010 9:35 AM

Thank you so much for letting me in on the scoop! I have not found a difference in the colors with using water either...

Report Violation

Bottom

hartleyflats
Posted: Monday October 25, 2010 12:39 PM
View users profile

I have to agree with Lisa. There is absolutely no difference in the outcome of the class buttercream using milk or water (I've done both just to see). The only difference is you'd have to refridgerate your cake if it has dairy in the frosting...you don't with water. I have also found no truth to the chemicals in water messing with the colouring and I've been on both municipal water and well water.

Report Violation

Bottom

conlin664
Posted: Monday October 25, 2010 2:49 PM

My instructor said to use water with the white buttercream and milk if you make the chocolate buttercream.

Report Violation

Bottom

cake-angel
Posted: Tuesday October 26, 2010 3:09 PM

The difference with milk or water has more to do with taste and texture. Milk can add a slight bit of creamy taste to the icing. With water extracts stand out a bit stronger. Milk seems to subdue the extracts slightly. Also because there is more than 40% sugar in the recipe it is considered preserved and the use of milk in the small quantity does not change the storage reccomendations of the icing which is officially - 2-3 days at regular room temperature, 2 weeks in the frige and 3 months in the freezer. :-) That is for using an all shortening based buttercream.

Hope that helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Decorating Basics Wilton Method Course < REFRESH >
Navigation: