skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Where do I get the "plain flat cookies" for the first class?
*sara* 06/28/2010 4:12 PM
Is this something that I can buy? If so, where?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I like to be prepared early! Thanks!!
ponyjockey 06/28/2010 4:24 PM
I was short on time so I went to the supermarket and bought uniced, premade cookies. I think they were Tobler and they were about an inch and a half long but they were big enough for what you are going to be doing. You can make your own if you want to, its up to you!
binkbink 06/28/2010 6:13 PM
Not sure where you are but Walmart and kroger sell plain flat cookies. Or if you feel like baking pillsbury's sugar cookies bake out nice and flat.
*sara* 06/28/2010 7:35 PM
Thank you. I think that I might try the Pillsbury.
kanala 06/28/2010 8:42 PM
Bulk food is where I buy mine - and I use arrowroot cookies, and use the back side of them.
cakinamy 07/02/2010 8:01 PM
GFS also sells sugar cookies. They have pre-shaped cookies that you can bake for 8 minutes or ready to decorate.

Amy
WMI
Dayton, OH
*sara* 07/02/2010 8:55 PM
Thank You, Amy. I'm not sure what GFS is but I bought the Pillsbury "break and bake" sugar cookies. I figured that I could use the backs of them. They are usually semi flat. I want them as a "just in case" for my first class since I was told to only show up with a pen and paper.
cakinamy 07/02/2010 10:51 PM
There is a supply list that you should have been given when you registered. Check with your store for the complete list.
A short list is your student kit, cookies, a can of Wilton icing, paper, pen. I have my students bring a towel (we teach painting in the same classroom as our decorating so I don't want food on the tables directly), and a copy of the paid receipt for the class.
Pillsbury cookies are a good idea. It's a fun class .. I hope you enjoy it.

Amy
WMI Instructor
Dayton, OH
*sara* 07/03/2010 6:53 AM
Amy, I called my local store to ask again what to bring and I was once again told that all I needed was a pen and paper. I have the list off of this site and I will bring those supplies but I"m curious to what my first 2 hour class will be like if no one has supplies.
shannycakes 07/03/2010 3:45 PM
Don't forget that you'll also need the student kit for the Decorating Basics Class as well and the supplies that Amy mentioned.

Be sure and let your instructor know about the lack of syllabus'. It sounds like you'd been speaking with some uninformed cashiers.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time!

Shannan
WMI
SLC, Utah
*sara* 07/03/2010 11:11 PM
Thank you Shanny. I have the student kit as well so I'm comfortable that I will be well armed with what I am supposed to have. I'm more concerned that I'll have a 2 hour first class with 11 other students and we won't get the most out of what we paid for. I'm going to bring my stuff but I'm curious to how we're going to "learn" without having the actual requirements on hand. Time shall tell.

I still have high hopes and I'll be sure to report back after my first class on Monday!
ladyryder2008 07/05/2010 9:31 PM
I start my class on Wed. July 7th and the syllabus told us to bring the student kit and the cookies and all of the above that they have mentioned.. hope your clas goes well
Twee 07/06/2010 1:06 PM
I had my class last night. Many people arrived to class without the complete list of items.

As for cookies, any flat cookie is fine. Some used baby cookies ( Arrowroot ) Others had homemade flat cookies, others had bought sugar cookies from a bakery. In the end we only had time to decorate one cookie in class.

Our classroom was not that large and we had 15 students plus an instructor. It was hot ! ! !
Bring a small bottle of water with you. I didn't and sure wish I had. There was no air conditioning in the workroom we used.

Also, bring a J-cloth or small damp rag in a plastic bag to help with your cleanup. If you are planning on tinting your icing with a colour, remember to bring a box of toothpicks and a small plastic cup or bowl to mix your colour and icing. I had done this but was the only one in the class who had and everyone ended up using from my box of toothpicks

A note about the tub of decorator icing we are to bring to class.
If you buy the small tub ( which I had ) it is a THICK consistency and will need to be watered down a bit before filling your icing bag. If you buy the big tub of icing, it is of a MEDIUM consistency and those people could use their icing as it was when filling their decoratoring bags.

After class, I ended up buying a large tub for future use. The class is really jammed with information you want to be prepared.

Good luck... the 2 hour class just whizzes by.