skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Sending Hisss Best (Snake Cake)
brandijo81 08/23/2012 1:03 PM
I am just wondering how to put together the snake cake called "Sending Hisss Best" that is shown on the the television show website. In the instructions it mentions the cake pans you need but not how to put them together. Help!
cakedujour 08/23/2012 6:08 PM
Welcome to the forum. I googled the name of the cake and found the instructions right here under Ideas on the menu to the left. There is a ton to explore here on the Wilton site and in the forum. Have fun!
brandijo81 08/23/2012 8:03 PM
Yes, I saw that too. But the one on the Wilton website uses a horseshoe shaped pan that they no longer sell. The one on the tv show page uses a bundt pan with two triangle pans and doesn't have instructions.
cakedujour 08/23/2012 9:29 PM
Try this one. I went to the Bake Decorate Celebrate website, entered the cake name and came up with this.
brandijo81 08/25/2012 12:16 PM
I saw that one too but the directions weren't great. I just ended up ordering the horseshoe cake pan on ebay. Thanks for the help though.
cakedujour 08/25/2012 1:57 PM
Good luck.
barbarella73 11/04/2012 7:19 PM
How did the cake turn out? I am wondering if it will fit in a rectangular Wilton cake caddy. How did you store it? I am concerned about how to keep it fresh if I can't fit it in my cake container.
cakedujour 11/06/2012 9:14 PM
How long do you need to keep the finished cake before serving it? If the cake, filling, and icing are all safe at room temperature, the icing will help keep the fresh for a couple of days. Fondant helps even more. You can also bake and freeze the cake several days (even weeks) before thawing and decorating. I'm not sure if the snake would fit in the cake caddy or not, but it might not be an issue at all. I never use a caddy and I don't freeze cakes either. I do try to bake as close to the event as possible but I often bake a couple of days prior - even three days, if I'm using fondant -with no problem.

Welcome to the forum!
barbarella73 11/06/2012 11:10 PM
Thanks! I usually bake 2-3 days before the event to give me enough time to decorate the cake. I just have never left a cake uncovered before. So far, since I have started cake decorating, I have just done character cakes and because I use Wilton cake pans, they fit in the cake caddy so I haven't had to worry about it. Do you just leave your cakes open to the air or do you cover them in foil or plastic wrap or something else? Sorry, I know that may seem like a ridiculous question, but I am still quite new to all this.
brandijo81 11/07/2012 6:21 AM
We ate ours the same day I made it so as soon as I finished the cake it sat on our dining room table as the party centerpiece. There wasn't a lot left to store so we kept it in tupperware after that. But it was a large cake when I finished it. It did fit on a smaller rectangular cake board.
barbarella73 11/07/2012 12:56 PM
Thanks
cakedujour 11/08/2012 10:41 AM
After a baked cake has completely cooled I will wrap in in plastic if I don't ice it right away. You can crumb coat it and then wrap it if you want. I almost never crumb coat. Once it is iced I will simply box it - not in an airtight container, just a standard cake box. If it needs to be refrigerated then I put the box in the fridge.
barbarella73 11/08/2012 10:52 AM
I didn't even think about a non-air tight cake box. Thank you! I can get a rough idea of the size of the cake from the pan so maybe I should just see if I can get a large cardboard box from the bakery at a grocery store. That would allow me to keep the cake somewhat protected. I really appreciated your advice
brandijo81 11/09/2012 6:28 AM
A lot of stores are now carrying cake boxes and boards. I get mine at Walmart, Hobby Lobby, and I noticed Party City carries them as well.
cakedujour 11/09/2012 1:41 PM
Get the box large enough to accommodate the cake board too!
barbarella73 10/26/2013 9:06 AM
I am sorry, but I don't see your question. What did you want to know? Maybe I can help.