skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Bake Decorate Celebrate! Television Show < REFRESH >
Topic Title: New to designer baking...wanting to adhere ribbon and flowers.
Created On Tuesday February 09, 2010 11:42 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

lov'sadi
Posted: Tuesday February 09, 2010 11:42 AM

Hello, I'm making my friend a 2 tiered bridal shower cake (my gift to her) but I have never used ribbon or real flowers. My questions are

1. when I use the water resistant colored ribbon around the bottom of each tier how do I adhere the end of it? I watch a video and he used two pins with pearl like ends.

2. I wanted to put purple tulips on top of the cake. Can I go to the florist and get these flowers? It just seems like the dirt and water that they use with the vitamin powder in it will mess the cake up.

3. Also, once I get the flowers how do I adhere to the cake? I'm assuming I don't stick the stem in the cake??????

Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

dittomom
Posted: Tuesday February 09, 2010 8:43 PM

Hi lov'sadi I've never done cakes with real flowers but you should post this in general information. Not too many people look here. Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Wednesday February 10, 2010 8:54 PM

hello lov...

dittomom's right about posting this in the other forum since most people skip this one. But I didn't see it posted elsewhere so I'll try to help you. I never ever secure ribbon with pins. I shudder to think of putting pins or anything like that on a cake. All you need is a little frosting to hold the ribbon in place. I like to use royal icing because it doesn't have grease in it and dries harder than buttercream. I use it sparingly, just a drop here and there and a little more at the back.

You can request flowers from the florist that don't have insecticide or anything like that on them.
Wilton makes little flower holders that you can use to insert in the cake. You can put a little water in them or a piece of wet paper towel to keep the flower fresh.

Love to see your pictures when you get it made! good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

lov'sadi
Posted: Thursday February 11, 2010 12:29 PM

Thank you so much, this helps. I will post the in general section.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Bake Decorate Celebrate! Television Show < REFRESH >
Navigation: