skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Bake Decorate Celebrate! Television Show < REFRESH >
Topic Title: covering cakes with candy melts
Created On Friday February 05, 2010 2:32 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

frogmarkham
Posted: Friday February 05, 2010 2:32 PM

Has anyone tried covering cakes with melted candy melts? When I try it they turn out very bad even after a few times. I have even tried freezing the cakes to help the candy cover better. Please Help

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Sunday February 07, 2010 9:32 AM

Is the candy thick, and maybe lumpy ? You need to thin it 2 ways - either make a ganache, or thin the chocolate

Making a ganache - if you're using Wilton's candy melts, add 1/2 cup heavy cream (I think it's on the back of the bag )

Thinning - add some crisco, or canola oil to the chocolate - about 5 TBSP is the measurement that other forum members have given !

Report Violation

Bottom

cakelioness
Posted: Sunday May 02, 2010 9:22 AM

Sorry for the late reply. Water and chocolate do not go, they are enemies. If you freeze your cake and add warm chocolate to it the cake will begin to thaw and the water from the thawing process will also cause you great problems as it breaks down the chocolate. Chocolate should be melted in plastic bowls that have never been used for such items as spaghetti sauce as the oils stay as well as the dyes and flavors. chocolate is at its best between a temperature of 86-89 degrees. If adding crisco or other things that need to be melted, they should also be added at the same temperature as the chocolate to keep it from breaking down. The temperature change can also cause the chocolate to become discolored or cause a swirling old look to the chocolate when it dried. Hope this helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

lbrandl72
Posted: Tuesday May 25, 2010 12:15 PM

yes I did this last night, roll it out thin. The only issue that I found was that due to the warm weather it had beads of water on them. But it tasted GREAT!

Report Violation

Bottom

Miss Bunny
Posted: Sunday September 12, 2010 3:22 PM

I was to make a cake shaped like a banana. Any ideas? I would also like to make small clay monkies (flat) to go on the sides of a cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Monday September 13, 2010 8:08 AM
View users profile

Miss Bunny, you will get a better response in the correct forum. I suggest you begin a new thread in the General Information section.

Report Violation

Bottom

LisaH
Posted: Monday September 13, 2010 3:22 PM

Wilton has a really cute monkey candy mold that you could use. It's made for lollipops. Just don't add sticks if you don't want to.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Bake Decorate Celebrate! Television Show < REFRESH >
Navigation: