skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Bake Decorate Celebrate! Television Show < REFRESH >
Topic Title: what icing can I mix with mm fondant and rolled fondant
Created On Tuesday June 30, 2009 6:48 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

orrtanna
Posted: Tuesday June 30, 2009 6:48 PM

I am doing my first attempt with fondant. I am trying to make a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse birthday cake for my 2 year old son. I usually just icing the cake and put figures on the cake. I am attempting to make the Clubhouse out of fondant. My question is....I'm making a chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. Can I put fondant over the peanut butter icing or do I need to do a different icing? If I can, is rolled fondant vs. mm fondant, one better than the other. (remember I am new at this and am looking for which ever would be easier to make and work with) I would really like to make this kind of cake....worst case I will have to make another kind of cake and make a chocolate cake/peanut butter icing in addition to the decorated cake. Any help, recipes, or tips are greatly appreciated and needed as soon as possible....The party is on Sunday, July 5.

Thanks,
Sue Clapsadle

Report Violation

Bottom

lovegrace
Posted: Wednesday July 01, 2009 6:49 PM

Hi Sue!

Rolled fondant and MM fondant are the same thing. The question is - do you want to buy it or make it yourself? It's obviously easier to just buy the fondant. But, it is costly and tastes terrible. You could make it at home if you're willing to put in a little effort. It's actually very easy and tastes WAY better than any pre-packaged stuff.

I'm pretty sure fondant will work fine over PB frosting. As long as nothing in the cake needs to be refridgerated, you'll be fine. Fondant covered cakes should not be refridgerated because they will "sweat" and ruin the look.

Hope this helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

orrtanna
Posted: Thursday July 02, 2009 6:46 AM

Thanks that does help....I usually refrigerate my cake because I like my choc/pb cold to eat but I can leave it out....would it sweat if I refrigerated my cake before hand and then put the mm fondant on and not put in fridge after that? I'll just make my pieces ahead of time and put it together at the last minute.....thanks....I started to make the mm fondant already and it seems to be really easy so far and taste good also (at least my 4yr old daughter loves it...ha ha)

One quick question about mm fondant will it hurt it to microwave it a couple of times through out the time when I'm working with it until I have it formed into the pieces I want it to dry as?

Thanks again all this forum is very helpful.

Report Violation

Bottom

lovegrace
Posted: Thursday July 02, 2009 7:37 AM

Yes, that works to refridgerate the cake (or freeze) until needed, then make sure it's room temp before you cover with fondant.

I've found that the homemade fondant is softer than the store-bought stuff, so generally doesn't need to be microwaved. I'm not sure what you mean by "formed into the pieces I want it to dry as" - are you making fondant people/figures? In that case you'd do well get some gumpaste and do a half fondant/half gumpaste mix.

Fondant does not "dry". It remains pliable even on the cake. Can you tell me a little bit more about the design?

Report Violation

Bottom

orrtanna
Posted: Thursday July 02, 2009 1:22 PM

Thanks for replying so quickly.....I'm actually covering items to make the club house....I'm covering styrofoam balls for mickey mouse's head and ears...I'll cover a half circle of cake for the actual club house...not sure about the foot someone said they used marshmellow candy form it and covered it with fondant and same with the white glove...maybe paper towel rolls for the leg and the arm (I may have to stuff them with foil to make them more sturdy)....not sure how I'm going to make the slide yet...if you have any other ideas for any of the parts let me know....I'm ways up for suggestions.

So I'm actually covering things with the fondant not just forming figures...sorry if I was misleading there. I'd like to stick to just the fondant if I could.

Thanks I think I will make the cake ahead and icing it, refrigerate it and then let it come to room temperature...Does the fondant stick to the cake better if you icing it first?...I'm referring to the half circle that I'm using for the club house part.

Regarding the stiffness....I'm guessing I maybe but a little to much powdered sugar in....it gets stiff/tuff and after I microwave it, it get really easy to work with for a little while and stiffens up again...I had to microwave it as I was adding the color....I made it all white and then added the color later....I read after the fact that I could have added the color when I was making it and it was still soupy. Oh well. I'll maybe try that next time.

Thanks again for all the advise.

Report Violation

Bottom

lovegrace
Posted: Thursday July 02, 2009 4:43 PM

Wow! This is a big project! You're son will love it!

Yes, you need to ice the cake before applying fondant. It bonds to the buttercream and makes it stick to the cake. If you iced your cake too early and your bc has crusted, you can spritz *a little* water on the bc so the fondant will stick.

With the "stiffness" of the fondant - are you using cornstarch to keep it "non-stick" when you work with it? I always use Crisco for that. It doesn't dry out or crack that way. Sometimes if I've overworked it with too much Crisco, I put a little cornstarch on my hands and the fondant comes back to life!

I usually add the coloring into the completed fondant, but that's just me. I know it can be done either way.

Be sure to post pics when you are done!!

Report Violation

Bottom

orrtanna
Posted: Thursday July 02, 2009 4:49 PM

Thanks for all your advise....you've been a jem....I'll be sure to try to post pics somewhere.

Wish me luck....cakes are baked now I just have to decorate.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday July 02, 2009 5:04 PM

orrtanna, the "somewhere" to post your pictures is the Life Celebrations forum. We'd all love to see them!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Bake Decorate Celebrate! Television Show < REFRESH >
Navigation: