skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Bake Decorate Celebrate! Television Show < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Crumbs in Frosting
Created On Monday June 22, 2009 2:33 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Lola2010
Posted: Monday June 22, 2009 2:33 PM

I am taking the wilton classes at my local craft store and every week we are to make a cake and have it pre-iced before coming to class. When i iced my cake this afternoon, I could not keep the crumbs away. I put two layers of icing, ( my crumb coat and my regular coat). There are still crumbs. How can I keep this from happening?

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday June 22, 2009 5:31 PM

If the crumb coat doesn't dry completely before adding the second frosting it can happen. I've learned to put a lot of frosting on the cake and then smooth it rather than applying it in small portions. I hope this helps.

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Monday June 22, 2009 5:48 PM

My teacher did tell me to always make sure when I move the spatula, that frosting is "under" it, so there is less chance of the spatula making direct contact with the cake, creating the crumb problem, that helped me out a lot and like sweetgrandma wrote about a lot of frosting-- I found that when I "heaped" the frosting on and started spreading I had better results. I'm sure some of the other cake pro's will be posting soon!
(I start course 2 in July)

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday June 22, 2009 9:03 PM

1. Brush the crumbs away with a soft pastry brush
2. Apply a thin crumbcoat. Let it dry.
3. Apply the final coat with the icer tip. (This applies frosting thickly and evenly.)
4. Smooth with a long offset spatula.
5. Allow to lightly crust.
6. Refine the smoothing with a Viva towel (if you have used a crusting buttercream)

Report Violation

Bottom

Puppylove
Posted: Thursday July 09, 2009 1:47 PM

Hi ladies. I'm new to this and have gotten a lot of great ideas from these forums. After making 2 cakes, I found that using icing tip was the best bet for me. My first cake, I did a flag cake similar to the one on this board but didn't' have the pains so I winged it. I ended up making the home-made icing from this forum which was perfect for frosting the cake free hand. The smoother the icing, the easier and crumb-free icing the cake was for me. I realized this after 3 different icing types. First, I used the Wilton store ready made icing which made crumbs everywhere, then I used the wilton icing mix that I added milk, etc to and it also produced crumbs, then finally I used the scratch recipe from here which turned out to be the best in icing a cake. When I did the decorating, I used the ready made Wilton icing because it was firmer. I learned a lot just making 3 cakes thus far. Did I tell you how horrible my first cake came out??? LOL.

Report Violation

Bottom

khiles
Posted: Tuesday August 11, 2009 9:10 PM
View users profile

Hello This might sound stupid but what is a icing tip? Kim

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Tuesday August 11, 2009 9:46 PM

Tip 789 is a basketweave tip on steroids. It is used without a coupler in a 16" bag, to apply a thicken even layer of icing on the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Tuesday August 11, 2009 9:47 PM

You can see it here:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30C1CD-475A-BAC0-5CDB07AA69762110&fid=3E3324A4-475A-BAC0-5ED544474B973201

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Bake Decorate Celebrate! Television Show < REFRESH >
Navigation: