skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Bake Decorate Celebrate! Television Show < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Smooth buttercream
Created On Sunday June 07, 2009 2:58 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

sweetendings#1
Posted: Sunday June 07, 2009 2:58 PM

I've seen several cake websites cakes decorated with buttercream that are very smooth. Most have "pictures"on them to match an invitation or them of the party. How do you get the buttercream so smooth in such small spaces? I make a lot of character cake but I use the star tip to decorate them, most kids like cake like that for parties. But now that I have very bad carpal tunnel syndrome I'm looking for and"easier way" to decorate cakes. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, check out this web site (handsoncakes) she has a lot of cakes decorated like this. Thanks for all your help

Report Violation

Bottom

Boo1970
Posted: Sunday June 07, 2009 3:43 PM

Boil some water then dip a contoured spatula in the water, shake it off, and use it to smooth the icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Sunday June 07, 2009 10:02 PM

Use a crusting buttercream recipe. (Wilton recipes and Wilton ready-made are crusting.)
Apply your frosting with the icer tip.
Smooth it as well as you can with a large metal spatula.
Allow it to start to crust. (About 10 minutes -- depends on your recipe and the humidity in your kitchen.)
Place a Viva paper towel over the area you want to smooth. "Iron" it with the side of your hand or the spatula or the fondant smoother -- you'll develop your own style and method as you get experience.
Move the towel to the next area and repeat.

Report Violation

Bottom

crazytoni
Posted: Tuesday August 04, 2009 12:06 PM

Any suggestions for making a shinny, glossy look to frosting? I want to make a wet looking trout fish cake.

Thanks, Toni

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Friday August 07, 2009 8:48 AM

crazytoni

You'll get more responses if you post this under another forum...like Recipes. Not as many people check this one.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Bake Decorate Celebrate! Television Show < REFRESH >
Navigation: