skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: "Less sweet"buttercream icing requests????????????
Created On Sunday September 11, 2011 6:06 PM
Topic View:

"Less sweet"buttercream icing requests???????????? - bunnywoman - Sunday September 11, 2011 6:06 PM
"Less sweet"buttercream icing requests???????????? - sweetgrandma - Sunday September 11, 2011 6:08 PM
"Less sweet"buttercream icing requests???????????? - bunnywoman - Sunday September 11, 2011 6:12 PM
RE: "Less sweet"buttercream icing requests???????????? - cakedujour - Sunday September 11, 2011 6:15 PM
"Less sweet"buttercream icing requests???????????? - bunnywoman - Sunday September 11, 2011 6:43 PM
"Less sweet"buttercream icing requests???????????? - Chasey - Monday September 12, 2011 10:59 AM
RE: "Less sweet"buttercream icing requests???????????? - dottiepark - Monday September 12, 2011 12:51 PM
"Less sweet"buttercream icing requests???????????? - runnrchic - Monday September 12, 2011 1:18 PM
"Less sweet"buttercream icing requests???????????? - Chasey - Monday September 12, 2011 1:26 PM
"Less sweet"buttercream icing requests???????????? - bunnywoman - Monday September 12, 2011 1:39 PM
"Less sweet"buttercream icing requests???????????? - runnrchic - Monday September 12, 2011 3:08 PM
View thread in raw text format

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday September 11, 2011 6:06 PM

Been meaning to post this for some time now.....

I see countless requests for "less sweet buttercreams." Now there are your regular buttercream icing recipes and then you have Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC) and even Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC) throw in a French Buttercream here and there and the countless other buttercreams that different decorators have come up with that suits their needs and claimed as their own.

I am no different. I have 2 basic buttercreams (my regular one and my Mock Shack's) that I have developed to meet my needs and desires. I can change these up to make them in chocolate buttercreams and then I have my favorite stabilized whipped icing. I stick to what I know and what I like. It is what works for me.

Now with all that being said, I see people request a "less sweet icing." All icing recipes that I have seen either call for 2 pounds of powdered sugar (or otherwise known as confectioner's sugar or icing sugar) OR 4-5 pounds of powdered sugar. I have even seen icing recipes with granulated sugar in them. SUGAR, whatever form it takes on, is in buttercream icing recipes. Two pounds of powdered sugar is ALLOT of sugar. No two ways about it. Sugar is sugar and sugar is SWEET! It is not going to taste like chicken! LOL!

Sooooooooo.............. you need to add in popcorn salt (or some kind of salt of your choosing) to lessen the sugar-y taste. Now keep in mind that it will NOT take the sugar taste away. It is still gonna taste like sugar. You will not be able to get rid of the 2-5 pounds of sugar in the recipe just by adding a little popcorn salt. The sugar is still evident as it is the backbone of any buttercream recipe.

If you do not like the taste of sugar at all or you are a diabetic then I would suggest you go with a Cool Whip type frosting or a pudding type frosting or perhaps use Splenda to create a sugar-free type frosting. These will only be able to frost your cake with and not use it to make decorations. A stabilized whipped icing can be used to achieve this. There are several recipes to choose from on the net. Find one that meets your needs.

Hope this clears up any confusion about buttercreams being "SWEET."

Happy Decorating!
Bunny

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Sunday September 11, 2011 6:08 PM

Thank ya ma'm!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday September 11, 2011 6:12 PM

You are welcome!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday September 11, 2011 6:15 PM
View users profile

Amen, Honey Bunny! Granted, there are some buttercreams that are cloyingly sweet. I can feel the cavities form in my teeth as I eat it. But, there are a gazillion recipes, Bunny's included, that are not overly sweet. That said, it is just like my buddy wrote above: Buttercream is made with a lot of sugar, sugar is sweet, and therefore buttercream is going to be sweet, no matter what. Well said, friend!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday September 11, 2011 6:43 PM

((((HUGS!!!))))

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Monday September 12, 2011 10:59 AM

I am going out on a limb with this guess (hoping to give people the benefit of the doubt, LOL!) that a request for a "less sweet buttercream" means something that doesn't taste like the all shortening, suuuuper sweet bakery icing that was standard on birthday cakes for ages.

I hope this post shows them there ARE other icing choices out there! Maybe if they were more specific and said "less sweet than the grocery store" kind of thing the request would make more sense.

Report Violation

Bottom

dottiepark
Posted: Monday September 12, 2011 12:51 PM
View users profile

BW, you have addressed this issue in a far nicer way than I do when I answer the posters in my head! Icing is sweet! It's not gravy, for crying out loud!

Report Violation

Bottom

runnrchic
Posted: Monday September 12, 2011 1:18 PM

I've found that to make mine less sweet, i beat the living stew out of it. I know all I'm doing is incoporating air into it, but I can still decorate with it.
I'm about to make a sugar free cake for some nursing home patients, and I found a few recipes that look good. One uses cream cheese. The other, that I'm using uses sugar free pudding mix and heavy whipping cream. Here's the recipe from cake central:
1 c. milk
1 small box sugar free, instant pudding, any flavor
1 pt. heavy cream

Ok so QUESTION:
I read on the comments I can't make flowers with this but can pipe borders. Do you think adding meringue powder and shortening will stabilize it enough to make flowers? I don't know what else I'd pipe on a nursing home cake.

I'm also adding a no sugar added apple filling. Of course I have no idea how "sweet" this is all going to taste!

Thank you so much!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Monday September 12, 2011 1:26 PM

LOL dottiepark!

runnrchic, I don't know about those additions, but I do know you could pipe cornelli lace as well as the borders with that whipped cream recipe. Maybe that will help?

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday September 12, 2011 1:39 PM

Gotta love ya Dottie!!!!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

runnrchic
Posted: Monday September 12, 2011 3:08 PM

Thank you Chasey!

Report Violation

Bottom