Fondant Storage and Freshness Guide
Fondant should be handled and stored with care. Keep in mind the following hints to ensure your fondant will be soft, flexible and clean when you’re ready to work with it.
- Fondant dries out quickly. Keep it covered or wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in a plastic bag when not being used.
- Knead fondant until it’s soft and pliable before rolling.
- If fondant becomes too soft or sticky to roll, knead in a little confectioner’s sugar.
- To prevent sticking when rolling, prepare your surface with solid vegetable shortening or a dusting pouch filled with equal parts cornstarch and confectioner’s sugar.
- To prevent fondant from sticking to hands, rub a thin coat of solid vegetable shortening on your hands or wear disposable Wilton All-Purpose Decorating Gloves.
- Fondant picks up dirt and lint easily. Be sure your hands are clean when handling and avoid wearing fuzzy sweaters during fondant decorating.
- After decorating, store leftover fondant carefully. Roll into a ball or log shape, coat with a thin film of white vegetable shortening, then wrap in plastic wrap. Place wrapped fondant in an airtight container.
Take some final precautions and store your fondant cake the best way possible. After all, your time, effort and creativity have made it very special!
|Consistency||Best Used For||Coloring||Storage/
|Rolled Fondant (homemade or Wilton Ready-To-Use Rolled Fondant)||Covers cakes with a perfectly smooth, satiny iced surface. Easy and fast to use. Knead in flavor of your choice.||Dough-like consistency that is rolled out before applied to cake. Stays semi-soft on cakes.||Any firm textured cake, pound cake or fruit cake. Cutting, molding
|White yields pastels to deep colors. Wilton pre-colored fondant is also available in primary, pastel or natural colors multi-packs for fondant decorations in a variety of colors.||Excess can be stored 2 months in an airtight container. Do not refrigerate or freeze. Iced cake can be stored at room temperature for 3-4 days. Cake fillings requiring refrigeration should not be used in fondant-covered cakes.||Prior to applying fondant, cake should be lightly covered with a glaze or buttercream icing to provide a smooth surface.|
|Quick-Pour Fondant (homemade)||Very sweet flavor. Covers cakes with perfectly smooth, satiny iced surface. Coats baked goods and seals in freshness with a shiny, smooth surface.||Pours and dries to a semi-hard, smooth surface.||All cakes, petit fours and cookies.||Yields vibrant pastels.||Use immediately. Excess fondant may be refrigerated for several weeks, reheated and poured again.||Prior to applying fondant, cake must be covered in apricot glaze and/or buttercream icing to seal in freshness and moisture.|
Beware that sunlight and florescent lighting will alter icing colors. Keep your cake stored in a covered box and out of direct sunlight and florescent lighting.
Want to stay in touch with the latest from Wilton?
Receive great Wilton decorating ideas and much more! Learn more