The Wilton tradition of cake decorating dates back to the late 1920’s when McKinley Wilton started to teach Pulled Sugar to European Chefs and Culinary Artists, and he in turn, learned the time honored European pastry techniques. Over time the Wilton Method of Cake Decorating was developed and the first product offered by the Wilton family was the “Encyclopedia of Cake Decorating.”
In developing our Deluxe Practice Board content and design direction, Stephanie Goode, our Senior Product Manager, needed to reach back and revisit the classic buttercream and royal icing techniques that are part of our heritage and teaching tradition. In order to accomplish that goal, she reviewed all the bag and tip techniques she learned as a graduate of the Wilton Masters Class, she met over the course of several months with Sandy Folsom, the Director of the Wilton School of Confectionery Art, Mary Gavenda, Senior Decorator on the Wilton Decorating Room team and Steve Rocco, our Senior Director of Cake & Visual Design.
In addition to the technique research, our Design Team continued to watch students in our classrooms to understand how the current practice board was being used with an eye to how the product could be improved to help make your experience with bag and tip practice more enjoyable and fruitful. Our goal was to support you in your practice sessions so you could cultivate and refine your decorating techniques with the results on the beautiful cakes you create and decorate.
As a result of this in depth-study, we developed our new Deluxe Practice Board with the following great features and attributes:
- Includes 89 bag and tip techniques for buttercream and royal icings with easy-to-use cake decorating instructions.
- Storage of practice sheets and creative inspiration.
- Each Practice Sheet includes the tip number and angle at a glance, in the upper corner.
- Dots and arrows really give clear direction on where to start and stop.
- Wider area to practice than the previous the practice sheet board.
- Sturdy case locks in a 90-degree angle to closely simulate the side of a cake, plus two additional angles for ease of use.
- Can use in a ‘closed position’ to simulate the top of cake.
- Large, clear flip-up decorating window opens to easily slip in practice sheets.
- Window can also be removed for hand washing cleanup.
- Includes curriculum techniques and also additional techniques from the large Wilton library of content as well as some new ones.
So what do you think? What’s your favorite feature of the new Wilton Deluxe Practice Board?