I used to despise rolling out cookies. No matter how many recipes I tried, the dough just never turned out right; it was too hard, too dry and crackly, or too sticky. Approximately 25% of the dough that I prepared was actually baked into successful cookies, with the remaining 75% producing cookies that spread into huge, nebulous blobs on my sheet pans. What a waste of time and money! Rolled cookies were definitely my nemesis, but not anymore!
Last week I mentioned how great Wiltonâ€™s Roll Out Cookie Dough is, and I want to show you how Iâ€™m personally using it this holiday season. It is truly a time saver, because the dough doesnâ€™t have to be chilled after it is mixed, which is super important during this busy time of year! I can mix, bake, and decorate in just an hour or two, and so can you.
The basic Roll Out Cookie Dough contains hints of vanilla and almond, and is really delicious on its own, but there are tons of variations too. Hereâ€™s one for chocolate that is just as simple and easy as the original. The Cookie Exchange book has 5 other Roll Out Recipes, including Lemon, Peppermint, and Coconut. My favorite way to modify it is by swapping the almond extract for anise extract, which tastes a little like black licorice. Putting it in these cookies reminds me of the store bought cookies my mother bought for my sister and me during the holidays. They were covered in pretty red and green sugar, and it was impossible to only eat one. When I put anise in my Roll Out Cookie Dough, I still sprinkle red and green sugar on top before baking them. Tasting them makes me feel like a kid again, and I know my sister will love them.
My friend hosts an annual holiday cookie exchange, and this year my contribution will be beautiful gold stars. Since the Roll Out Cookie Recipe doubles easily, it will be a snap to mix, cut, and bake off 6 dozen stars with my Comfort Gripâ„¢ Cutter. After they cool, Iâ€™ll pipe a thin line of White Cookie Icing around the edges and dip them in Gold Pearlized Sugar. The effect is classy and beautiful, and for being so great all year round, my friends definitely deserve a gold star!
By rolling the dough a little bit thicker and punching a hole at the top, I can make one-of-a-kind ornaments for my Christmas tree, although I will be surprised if theyâ€™re not all eaten off of the branches within a few days! Theyâ€™re hard to resist.
Iâ€™m decorating some fun ones for my nieces, too. Theyâ€™ll love these cute Christmas trees, complete with Rainbow Crunch ornaments and a big, bright star. Their faces will light up when they see their names printed on these easy stockings, too!