Baking Favorite Cakes
Lesson 1: Butter-Based Cakes
- Meet Wilton's Beth Somers and preview the collection of classic, no-fail cake recipes you'll make in class. Starting with two butter-based cakes, Beth shows you the proper method of creaming butter and sugar to achieve perfectly baked white and banana cakes. Add in citrus zest, coffee or extracts for a flavorful twist!
Lesson 2: Oil-Based Cakes
- Whether you're making a chocolate, carrot or red velvet cake, discover how to whip up moist oil-based cakes that partygoers will devour. Beth walks you through each step of the process, from combining the wet and dry ingredients to dividing your batter and filling the cake pans. Plus, see how to color your red velvet cakes for vibrant results.
Lesson 3: Egg Foam Cakes
- Go light and airy with your desserts as you make a delectable cake roll and a lemon almond chiffon cake, perfect for summertime. Beth shows you how to expertly prepare the batter, whipping your eggs to a perfect peak. Then, practice forming a cake roll fresh from the oven.
Lesson 4: Classic Fillings
- Enhance the flavor and texture of your cakes with a variety of classic, mouthwatering fillings. Get step-by-step instruction on making a thick and silky vanilla custard and a tart lemon curd. Prefer a berry-packed filling? You'll also discover Beth's tried-and-true method of creating a delicious triple-berry jam.
Lesson 5: Simple Icings
- Top your cakes with decadent, easy-to-make icings! With Beth's guidance, gain confidence making a luscious cream cheese frosting and a rich chocolate ganache. As a bonus, Beth shares her secret ingredient for making stabilized whipped cream that's guaranteed to hold its shape.
Lesson 6: Impressive Icings
- Add more complex icings to your repertoire that will be sure to delight your guests. Learn the secret to making a silky smooth Swiss meringue buttercream, then whip up an old-fashioned caramel penuche. In addition, Beth shows you how to create a fluffy boiled icing with a lovely meringue-like texture.
Lesson 7: Classic Finishing Techniques
- Get your cake ready for any celebration! Beth demonstrates her technique of assembling each of the various cake layers before adding ganache or a simple, yet elegant piped border. Plus, discover a handy trick for creating a colorful sprinkle coating — without the mess!